Friday 28 August 2015

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes

Me and my body have had something of a Eureka moment this last week.
Things have happened to me that I have never before experienced in my life:

I've stopped feeling constantly hungry
I've stopped always wanting more, always wanting something else
I've felt satisfied once I've eaten
I've recognised true hunger without the associated need to eat immediately
I've felt my eating plan is manageable
My eating is controlled and stable

Interested?

I gave up refined sugar 8 days ago.

I was TERRIFIED of taking the step. No biscuits! No cakes! No chocolate! No scones! In fact none of the 600 calories of junk I usually eat in a day.(Yes, I often count them- tracking is supposed to help...)

I read a book called Only Fat people Skip Breakfast ,a very simple book aimed at binge eaters. It was sensible and practical rather than an extreme 'banish sugar and carbs and drink kale smoothies' book. 
One message I took from it was:

If you always do what you are doing, you will always get what you're getting.


This is me, and I am not alone.

Each 'new start' I propose or 'line I draw' in declaration of a new weight loss regime is never new.
My plan is usually to eat the same things that I like but to exercise perfect control and restriction as I have never managed in the past. This time it'll be different I tell myself.
I have never quite grasped that I continually try and fail at this, and will continue to do so unless, I do something different and change it.

So I am. I'm doing it in a sensible pragmatic way for me and cutting (some) of the refined sugary crap from my diet and cross my fingers that I lose my sweet tooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment